- sides, summer -
I love zucchini, but I find myself only making the same one or two dishes whenever it is in season. I usually serve it grilled or raw, but I wanted something a little different today, so I decided to pan fry them. This recipe is super simple and is the perfect quick side to go with a protein or pasta dish.
1/2 tsp dried italian herb mix
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 tbsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2.5 tbsp AP flour
1 tbsp cornstarch
1-2 zucchini, sliced into approx. 1/4 in. rounds
4.5 tbsp avocado oil
freshly grated parm, honey, and red pepper flakes for topping
optional: calabrian chili oil, fresh basil
1. In a quart or gallon size plastic bag, combine the first 8 ingredients. Then add the zucchini and toss well to coat.
2. On medium heat the avocado oil in a medium to large pan, depending on how much zucchini you are doing. You want a thin layer of oil coating the bottom of the pan.
3. Once the pan is warm, carefully add the zucchini in a single layer. If you notice the flour is starting to combine with the oil, just add a bit more oil to prevent it from burning.
4. When the oil starts to kind of come up on the sides of the discs and the bottoms are nice and brown, flip the rounds and cook until the other side is golden brown.
5. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate, gently tossing to remove any excess oil.
6. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, remove from the paper towel. Immediately top with a generous sprinkle of parm, a drizzle of honey, red pepper flakes, torn basil, and a light drizzle of calabrian chili oil (optional). Serve immediately.