- starters, party food, air fryer recipes -
Whenever we visit my grandfather in Florida, we always have to stop at Shaggy's to get some beach balls, what they call their fried, loaded mashed potato balls. It is always something we look forward to, and I got a craving for them this weekend. Since a trip to Florida didn't seem to be in the cards, I decided to make my own version of them.
4-5 cups mashed potatoes, chilled
1 1/2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tsp kosher salt, divided
3 tsp garlic powder, divided
3 tsp onion powder, divided
1/3 cup chopped, cooked bacon
2/3 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups italian breadcrumbs
spray extra virgin olive oil
chives or green onions for garnish (optional)
dipping sauce (optional) - I like ranch or my shallot and chive dip
1. In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, shredded cheddar, sour cream, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons onion powder, and the chopped bacon. Use a spatula to thoroughly combine.
2. Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop out individual balls on to a sheet tray. Chill the balls for at least 10 minutes.
3. In 1 bowl, combine the remaining garlic powder, salt, and onion powder with the flour. In the second bowl, whisk the eggs with 1 tablespoon of water. Place the breadcrumbs in the third bowl.
4. Once the potatoes have chilled, use your hands to form them into more circular balls.
5. Bread the potato balls. Roll them in the flour, then in the egg, then into the breadcrumbs. Repeat with all of the potato balls.
6. Spray your air fryer basket with the spray oil then place a single layer of the potato balls down. You will have to work in batches, so don't try to squeeze them all in at once. Air fry at 370 degrees for 6-9 minutes, shaking the basket every so often during that time.
7. Serve with the dipping sauce of your choice and chives!